Saturday, February 13, 2010

Strange Egg Conspiracy.

I personally find that some customers just don't really hear the things that you are saying to them, no matter how many times you say it and how many ways you say it. This definitely applies to customer who complain or even when they inquire about certain items on the menu.


Take Away phone rings.

Me: [Pick up the phone.] Good Evening.
Egg-White-Man: Hi. I just have a few questions to ask you.
Me: Sure. How can I help you.
Egg-White-Man: Okay. The questions will sound weird at first but there is a point to it.
Me: That's fine.

I have to admit because it was a slow night I was intrigued. Also on top of the fact that you work as a waitress, once in a while customers still surprise me on the strange things that they may ask.

Egg-White-Man: Are you one of the chefs?
Me: No.
Egg-White-Man: Are you related to anyone that's in the restaurant?
Me: No.
Egg-White-Man: Do you work in the kitchen?
Me: Sometimes I do.

It was a strange line of questioning. In fact I thought for a while that he wasn't even actually going to order anything, but just wanted to find someone. So it was getting a little scary.


Egg-White-Man: Do you know anything about how they make the omelettes?
Me: Yes, I do, I've made a few myself.

On top of being a waitress, I also help prepare foods during the night so I have had experience in making an omelette.

Egg-White-Man: Can you tell me if you use WHOLE eggs in it?
Me: [Sigh.] Yes, we use WHOLE eggs.

Why did I sigh? Egg-White-Man has called previously and had the same question about our omelettes. The funny thing is that last time he called I was also the unlucky one that was on the phone explaining the same situation to him.

Every thing that he is about to say, he had said to me in a previous conversation. Pretty much a case of deja vu but I actually REMEMBER doing it.

Egg-White-Man: I use to own a cake store and make cakes, so I know that you can just get buckets of egg whites.
Me: Yes?
Egg-White-Man: I think that you make your omelettes from just egg whites.
Me: I can safely tell you that our omelettes are made from FOUR WHOLE eggs.
Egg-White-Man: It doesn't seem like it.

One; I did not think that you could just buy egg whites at the time. (After the first conversation with Egg-White-Man I did notice that it is quite easy to just buy egg whites). Two; this is the second time that we have had this conversation and the fact that I am saying the same thing does not seem to make a difference to Egg-White-Man.

Me: We use four whole eggs per omelette. Two large ones and two small ones.
Egg-White-Man: Well it just seems the omelette is too pale for it to be whole eggs in it. It looks like you just put egg whites in it.
Me: That's just the way the eggs are. The two large ones we have have paler yolks and this probably makes it look pale.
Egg-White-Man: Are you sure?
Me: Yes. Like I said it probably doesn't look as 'orange' because the egg yolk in the larger eggs are quite pale.

I was starting to get annoyed at this stage. Egg-White-Man was convinced that there was some strange egg conspiracy going on in our kitchen. Egg-White-Man didn't seem to want to believe me, it was more like he wanted to interrogate me and see if I would crack and tell him what HE wanted to hear.

Me: You do realise that I have had this conversation with you already.
Egg-White-Man: Yes, but I don't really believe you.
Me: Well, that's how we make our omelettes and there hasn't been any changes to it.
Egg-White-Man: But the omelette doesn't taste right.
Me: Okay...

So all of sudden it's not about the way it looks but also the way it tastes. Now, I think Egg-White-Man just wanted to be right, whether it be about the taste or about the look of the omelette.

Me: I can only assume that it's because we put some cornflower in it, so that the egg stays together into a nice omelette.
Egg-White-Man: Can you take the cornflower out of the omelette?
Me: Yes... But it does hold the egg together so it might turn out a little scrambled.
Egg-White-Man: That's okay. As long as it turns out 'omelette-like'.
Me: Okay...

What classifies as 'omelette-like'? I warned him about the problems with not having the cornflower in it and yet he did not seem to understand what may happen to it if it does not. 'It may not be 'omelette-like' if you take out the cornflower', does not seem to comprehend with Egg-White-Man.

Egg-White-Man: We like the food at your restaurant but some times the omelette puts me off.
Me: Well that's how we make them. With FOUR REAL WHOLE eggs.

Egg-White-Man is a regular Take Away customer. In fact he orders a Prawn Omelette every time with no onions, no beansprouts and only egg, prawns and omelette gravy. In fact, he orders this dish for himself over the phone, then puts us on the phone to his wife so she can order the rest because he doesn't want to get the wrong omelette.

Egg-White-Man: Okay. I'll call back later with an order.
Me: That's fine.

Egg-White-Man must have beeen really paranoid to have this 'egg chat' with me again, and not even be ready to order.


Later that night he finally orders his meal. Prawn Omelette with no onions, no beansprouts, no cornflower (as well this time) with only egg, prawns and omelette gravy. Along with a few other meals as well. We had a waiting time of 10-15 minutes last night. He did not come in until half-hour AFTER the waiting time we specified.

I can't understand why he was so convinced that we use only egg whites in our omelettes. The look and feel of just egg whites is very different and I personally do not think our omelettes look white, even if they are pale yellow-ish.

I was annoyed about the fact that he did not believe me the first time. I felt like taking one of the large eggs and cracking it in front of him so that he could see that there was indeed a yolk in it. In fact, next time he should just come into the kitchen before we make his omelette and have him watch us crack the eggs, mix up the omelette and cook it. Let me tell you, Egg-White-Man, that omelette will look exactly the same as all the omelettes that we give all our customers.


2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

GAH! I didn't have this conversation but reading it I was annoyed for you. Grrr.

My suggestion? Buy some food coloring and the next time he calls in drop in one or two drops of yellow. His omelete will be plenty yellow enough believe me.

And what is the old coot doing eating a FOUR egg omelete with prawns anyway? [I don't know why but he sounds old to me]

♥ Caz said...

SkippyMom...

It was okay the first time he rang but to call again and ask the SAME thing is annoying.

We thought about adding stuff to make it more orange looking but then he would critise us about how it looks different this time and that we were lying to him before. Better to leave it so that it shows that thats the way the omelettes are.

I guess thats the way he likes his omelettes? :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails