Monday, October 25, 2010

Chilli-Man's Quest

Exposure to all sorts of funny food requests are not uncommon. Most of the time its quite amusing and you wonder to yourself why oh why would you have some of the combinations that customers decide to torture themselves with. However, when you usually get a strange request, first you say that it can be done. Second, you cover your own ass and make sure that you are not responsible for it tasting funny as it is the customer's choice to do that with their own food. Thirdly, so that we are not held responsible at all, you make sure that you have the order very clearly written and noted so that it is as original as it can be coming out of the customer's mouth. And some times this is the hardest part of all...



Take away phone rings. I pick up.

Chilli-Man: Hi, can I please order a take away meal.
Me: Sure, what would you like?
Chilli-Man: Can I please get chicken with fresh chilli.

Now this meal does not exist. There is Chicken in Chilli sauce where the fresh chilli can be added. I explain this to Chilli-Man.

Chilli-Man: I just want chicken and chilli.
Me: It can be done sir, but there will be no flavour as it will just be cooked chicken stir fried with fresh chilli.
Chilli-Man: Look, I've ordered it before. I always order this dish.
Me: I'm just trying to explain that we do not have this meal on the menu, and that I can do it but it won't have much taste because there is no sauce.
Chilli-Man: I order this dish all the time. Other restaurants do it! You know what, don't worry about it.

Chilli-Man hangs up.

Thanks Chilli-Man for your patience and of course the amount of rudeness that does get through the phone. He didn't seem to understand where I was coming from and for some reason he thought this dish existed which I'm pretty sure doesn't in Chinese restaurants so I'm not sure what he was after. Perhaps if he explained himself better and didn't throw a tantrum we could have gotten through the confusion together.

Oh well, I just hope Chilli-Man got his chicken and a whole bunch of fresh chilli to burn that rude tongue of his to hell.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails