Monday, March 22, 2010

How to Treat Snobby Ex Servers.


In the line of work that I do you meet a lot of interesting characters. Some times at first glance you can misinterpret what people are like, which has happened to me before. So you learn to be less critical of people and treat people with the same respect that you would like to be treated because one day it might just get you out of trouble.

Waitressing is not just a job about taking orders, delivering food, serving drinks and providing general chit-chat. It is a service and therefore it means that actual human interaction and communication is necessary, and that includes from putting on a fake smile to nervously laughing at jokes that you would not find funny in 'real life'.

You learn that as a waitress that not all people are as kind and generous as you. You realise how easily your own sense of humanity is forgotten because of the way some customers believe you should be treated simply because they paid for your service. As a waitress you realise that you begin to act differently as a customer and you show more compassion.

There is this customer, Snobby-Ex-Waitress, who is, not just simply the rudest customer, but one of rudest people that I have ever met. Some times I give customers excuses for being rude, its part of the job to ignore and smile. But Snobby-Ex-Waitress does not have any excuse because she was once in the same position as me and all the other girls at the restaurant. I would assume that your experiences as a waitress somewhat give you a honorary badge and understanding of what it is like to be a waitress and therefore teaches you a lesson on what you should be like as a customer.

Snobby-Ex-Waitress used to work with my Boss in another restaurant. She is grumpy, does not say a word of 'thank you' or 'please' and her actions speak of the lack of manners she seems to possess. However, the moment that she sees my Boss and talks to him her whole attitude changes and she becomes the nicest person in the world. So sweet that it makes my teeth ache.

The first time I served her I paid particular attention to her because of her connection to my Boss. But how do you do the right thing by someone who thinks they are better than you? You don't. So this is my pay back. I serve her without a smile. I speak with as little amount of words as possible. I give her her meal, and walk away. I don't even bother to wish her a 'good day'. After all why should I waste it on someone who simply shows no respect to people.

Snobby-Ex-Waitress is in her late 40s and has children and grandchildren of her own. And just when you think that it doesn't get any worse. Her daughter now also works as a waitress, Snobby-Ex-Waitress-Jr. Exact same attitude as her mother. I can't believe that they have different attitudes as a waitress because it's too difficult to believe. I don't believe that any customer would like to be served by Snobby-Ex-Waitress or Snobby-Ex-Waitress-Jr. due to their ugly attitudes.

If Snobby-Ex-Waitress had not worked as a waitress then maybe I would be more forgiving. But formerly being a waitress does not give you the right to act like a pretentious snob and believe that you are standing on some fancy pedestal.

So I treat her as she treats me, deal with it.

1 comment:

SkippyMom said...

Oh lordy - as a former waitress I try and be extra super polite nice and undemanding when I go just b/c I hope I am helping to make my waitress' job easier. "When you get a chance" is one of my most used phrases. I can wait on another drink etc. when our server is weeded.

We have become fav' regulars at some places b/c of it and our tendency to overtip.

That woman should know better. She just sounds bitter at life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails